Thursday, May 3, 2007

I'M A PROTESTER!!

It's official ... I have now been to a rally. It only took 26 years.

I have always been fascinated by the people who stand on the sides of streets with signs attached to them. I have always wondered who these people were; what made them get out of their car. Yesterday I decided to park and get out - if only just to see.

Here's what I found out: as suspected, over 75% of the people were my parent's generation or older. Yes, elderly people with pots and pans banging away. Their was one child who resembled Tarzan and wore a shirt reading "War Budget leaves every Child Behind." He made me smile.
Mixed in with the older crowd were two model looking foreigners, a mother-daughter duo from Argentina and a couple college kids. I seemed to be the only military family member there and I was (I think) they only person there alone.

Here is what I noticed about the people driving by who flashed peace signs and honked: they were almost all my age. They almost all looked like my friends - people coming back from auditions, a couple assistants leaving the office ... you get the drift.

Moral of my story (if there is a moral and if this can be called a story) - if you do a lot of complaining about our country, our president ... again, the drift ... get out of your car. It's kind of fun.

No comments: